Australia

$19.5 Million Relief Package and 2026 Bushfire Appeal Launched

Max Hobson's remains were found in the fire zone of the Longwood blaze on Sunday afternoon.

MELBOURNE:  As the scale of the Victorian bushfire emergency continues to grow, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Premier Jacinta Allan have announced a massive multimillion-dollar relief effort to assist devastated communities.

With almost 400,000 hectares burnt and over 350 structures—including dozens of homes—destroyed, the government has moved to provide immediate financial stability to survivors.

Police said the body was discovered about 100 metres from a vehicle off Yarck Road at Gobur.

A combined $19.5 million funding pool has been established by the Commonwealth and State governments. The package includes:

A one-off payment of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per child for those severely affected.

Dedicated mental health support for trauma-impacted residents.

Funding to begin the massive task of clearing debris and hazardous structures.

“We’ve got your back,” Prime Minister Albanese said during a visit to the fire zones. “Not just during this crisis, but through the recovery as well.”

Police at the scene after Hobson’s body was found.

Premier Jacinta Allan today announced the official launch of the 2026 Victorian Bushfire Appeal, which will go live online tomorrow. This fund will act as a central hub for public donations, ensuring that every dollar raised goes directly back into the communities based on their specific needs.

“The best way to provide support is through this appeal,” the Premier urged, noting that the allocation of funds would be guided by the advice of those on the front lines.

Aerial photos of the bushfire aftermath in Ruffy, Victoria.

While three previously missing people have been confirmed safe, the discovery of the remains of farmer Max Hobson has cast a shadow over the recovery efforts.

The fires have also taken a catastrophic toll on agriculture and wildlife. Hundreds of cattle have perished, and an animal sanctuary was among the structures lost. Authorities warn that with fires still burning out of control, the total area of devastation is expected to increase in the coming days.

Related News

Australia Day 2026 Weather: State-by-State Forecast Guide

Australia Day weather 2026, Sydney weather Australia Day, Melbourne heatwave, Perth sun, Australia Day beach guide, national forecast Jan 26.

Pinjarra Returns to Normal as Suspected Gunman Located

Residents in Pinjarra can return to normal activities after WA Police located the man at the center of today’s armed search. Read the full timeline here.

Ruffy Community Band Together as Longwood Blaze Claims 30 Homes

While the Longwood bushfire destroyed 30 homes and community landmarks in Ruffy, a group of residents stayed behind to save eight properties using vintage equipment.

Aliens or ‘Jenga’? Internet Reacts to Mystery 25-Tonne Sandstone Theft

The internet is buzzing with theories after 25 tonnes of sandstone vanished in Speers Point. From “backyard Great Walls” to aliens, see the wildest theories.

Homicide Squad Deployed to Sydney Detention Facility

Police are investigating the suspicious death of a 51-year-old man at Sydney’s Villawood Detention Centre. Read the latest on the investigation.

Why the NSW Government is Getting Tough on Substandard Childcare

As Fun2Learn Rosehill is shut down, we examine what the NSW government’s new ‘zero tolerance’ policy means for parents and childcare providers.

Albanese and Allan Vow Support Following Victoria Fire Fatality

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Premier Jacinta Allan have visited Victorian bushfire zones as police confirm a fatality in Longwood.

Renewed Warnings After 4-Year-Old Boy Loses Life in Pool Accident

Following the death of a 4-year-old at Bobs Farm, authorities remind NSW residents of the critical importance of pool fencing and active supervision.

Search